Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Masters of Song Fu - Update #9

Song Fu logo

The fourth and final challenge has been posted. The competition is now between the remaining challenger, Jason Morris, and the leading master, The Rifftones. The challenge is another genre-specific one, though the remit is a bit more limited than previous rounds:-

You must choose one of those 1970’s Williams-scored Spielberg/Lucas flicks (JAWS, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, 1941, or STAR WARS). and write "The Song From..." that the film never had, in the style of a 1970’s pop tune (particularly in your instrumentation).

I can think of a few possible options for this, but I think I'll go for Jaws as the one with most scope for writing an interesting song about. Time to put the string synth to the test - cheesy orchestral washes coming right up...

Incidentally, I actually had a dream last night that I was attacked by a shark whilst swimming in Loch Lomond (which is freshwater and shark-free), defending myself by punching it on the nose (which apparently CAN work as an act of last resort). I don't know what prompted that subject, as I've not been aware of shark-related news since this article caught my attention a couple of weeks ago, however it is too good a coincidence to ignore!

No comments: