Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Home at Last!

My musical meanderings now have a proper home - my little studio is up and running!

I finished building the frame and shelving over the weekend. I'm no joiner, but it all seems very sturdy, if not exactly a thing of great beauty. It has taken the best part of 2 days to get all the cables and gear in site and connected up. There are still some tweaks to go in order to have everything running smoothly, but I'm at least able to get a sound out of everything, which is much more than I've been able to do for the last few years.

I'll be running it all on three computers - the good old faithful Atari ST for controlling keyboards and any forays into the world of algorithmic music, my regular PC for running virtual instruments, which I've never really got to grips with beyond the odd demo here and there, and a bargain basement (under £1) old PC for actually recording everything. It was great to get back to the ST with its simple-to-use and crash-free environment after years of using PCs, but weird to be back on a little 12 inch screen instead of this 19 inch monster. Hopefully this arrangement will give me the best of all worlds, as I'm not convinced this PC is really up to handling all chores on its own.

Give me a couple of days and I should come up with something new to post on the site...

No comments: